Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Snow

It comes riding through the air, on the wisps of breeze. The sweet stale scent, one that tells you the world is about to change color, in a blanket of white the flakes come, dancing with serenity.

Although, I have to say I am not a fan of the cold. I do love the snow.

Everything seems a little brighter and magical, if only for a few moments. Fresh snow is the best. Fluffy tufts of white combining together. transforming the dead grass and naked trees into something splendorous to peer at.

Yes, there are hindrances to life's little salt shaker, as I have mentioned above, the cold for one, canceled school or meetings (and depending who you are it is good when you're a kid, but a little rougher on the parents. :P) You have to bundle up, the car won't start; you have to sweep, shovel and other unpleasant things one wouldn't normally have to do if we weren't in winter.

But the good outweighs the bad, I believe. Hot chocolate, playing with the kids, or with yourself. Catching snowflakes on your tongue (I'm not a "Lucy," December snow is just fine for me,) ice skating, sledding, scarves, sweaters and my favorite - Kneehigh socks... plus a plethora of other brilliant things, if you are creative enough.

If you don't live in a place where the seasons change, you may never know, or possibly dread the idea of the cold wetness that is portrayed on the news. However, if you look at things differently every once in a while, you're bound to see the magnificence.

It's always important for people to keep a new perspective in life. Otherwise it grows dull. Humans do not work well under boring circumstances. So look out your window, breath frosty air into your lungs and for a moment enjoy the snow.

It might not bother you as much after that.

3 comments:

mmcelhinny said...

I can only think of a few things that are better than breathing deeply during a winter snowfall. Shoveling that fluffy stuff is actually enjoyable if you have the right frame of mind.

bettielee said...

Well, I had enough of snow when I lived in Oklahoma - I am glad that part of my life is over. :)

Kara McElhinny said...

Silly. :P