Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Words

I never seem to have a lack of words to write or to speak.

While I get inspiration from all walks of life, a poem or a nightmare too real to ignore, it's never difficult for me to get the words out of my head and into my computer.

That being said, I am having a slump of sorts.

I have plenty of ideas bumping around my noggin. I get them out before they blow away and find another willing to turn it into a proper story. The problem is turning them into something sensible. I'm not trying not to pressure myself but to be honest, the stack of unfinished work I have is going to topple over and crush me. Killed-dead, by a pile of my own thoughts (of course that end is somewhat appropriate for a writer....)

Every day I sit and look at the words, or a blank screen trying to take on a fresh start for my stories and honestly even though the words keep coming, they don't form a complete plot.

There are many different avenues for me to cruise down of course. I can keep picking away at the stories and then when I finally figure out what's the what, I can start for real, but most of my ideas start in an awkward place.

I need more backstory, frontstory, or I miss the interesting parts all together. My first WIP was a complete history of my characters before I pulled out the meaty bits, and realized what they were trying to tell me.

However, now I'm faced with my problem at hand, and while I'm not going so far as to call it a block (because I've proven to myself that I'm not blocked in the slightest) I'm trying to figure out why these plots are so coy with me. I'm not worried, just at an impasse. I know they will come when they come and I'll keep writing until they do (I spent too much time *not* writing to do otherwise.)

Unfortunately this slump couldn't have happened at a worse time. Shock Totem is having their monthly flash fiction contest and while I have the frame for my story, nothing else is following. I keep trying though, I'm not one to give up, I had hoped that this little challenge would jog something back into place. Now I just have to have something of substance by midnight, Sunday. I'll get some kick ass feedback and I'd love to keep growing.

For now I invite the words to keep coming... but can I get a bit flesh for my plot as well? Please?

13 comments:

Shadow said...

You will get there so keep trying.

Kara McElhinny said...

Thanks Shadow. :D

Paula Ray said...

awww, Hinny - I wish I didn't say what I did about the piece you posted now :( I didn't mean to help cause you to clam up.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't written a word for my Shock Totem challenge - not one - I'm drawing a blank. The words keep leading me to cliche' plots and I know that won't work.

You'll do fine, pictures sometimes help me brainstorm story ideas. Maybe you can surf some photo galleries to get the juices flowing - that's what I'm going to do.

Kara McElhinny said...

NO!! You totally helped me P! It not only helped me see the pattern I've been following, but it also opened up an entire new story for me.

Please don't feel bad for ever giving me a critique! It only helps!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to look into it. Maybe we can start a club or something ;)

Thanks for reading as well!

E. F. Collins said...

Hinny, my love and friend, how has this happened? I know you have the words. You do--I've read far too many words from you t think you don't. Perhaps this blockage has something to do with your next step in writing? Sometimes growth is painful and it takes tenacity and determination to get past it. You know what Uncle Jim says. Give yourself permission to write crap. Write crap, babygirl, but write. I hate seeing you blocked up, but we've had this conversation before. This is growth, hon. You're growing and it may be a painful birth, but once you emerge, you'll have taken that next step and be better. Here's hoping it comes soon.

Kara McElhinny said...

Thank you my sweets! I think I'm just trying to connect the pieces together right now and I'm not finding the right pattern.

It'll come, I can feel it. But I never did think of the next phase... that makes it a little more exciting me thinks :P

I'll cross my fingers, keep writing and I'm not really calling it a block, cause that's not all too true.

I guess the crap will come and go as it does.

Thanks for reading Effie!
hugs.

Denise Baer said...

Hinny,

I think we all run into unfinished thoughts, and can't seem to get passed it. But we do finally get passed it.

Having a reliable, good beta reader really helped me. Someone you trust and who is willing to give you the bad WITH the good.

If you ever need to throw ideas off me, you know where to find me. :D Just wanted you to know.

Take care of yourself and I'll be crossing my fingers for you for the flash fiction.

Bea

K. Allen Wood said...

I've yet to run into this problem, so I have no pearls of wisdoms. Though my not setting aside the time to right has us standing in the same damn spot, equally frustrated. Haha.

So...how about some sympathy? =) I feel your pain!

Tyhitia Green said...

Keep writing and worry about editing later, like Effie said. ;-)

Cate Gardner said...

I have moments like this, but there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Kara McElhinny said...

Thanks Bea! I'll keep you in mind ;)

Ken! Thanks for reading and for the sympathy! I'll send some your way as well.

Thanks Tyhitia and Cate! I always feel the light at the end of the tunnel, even when I can't see it. :D

Robert Duperre said...

Oh, Hinny. Reading your posts is like looking into a mirror. I know EXACTLY what you mean. The good news is, the structure comes. Really, it does. I'll just tell you what the love of my life tells me when I disclose to her my frustration: There are no such things as wasted words, for everything you put on paper is important, whether you believe so or not.

Kara McElhinny said...

Thanks Robert!

That is a great way to view things!!